Google

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Am I just being picky?

When I buy a tool I expect it to to what the manufacturer/designer says it will do. Now it would be nice for a tool to do those things well, but sometimes I guess I can settle for just getting it done. Still, the job should be done after you use the tool as intended. The recent target of my ire? Microsoft Defragmentation Tool.

One would expect by the name of this tool, that it defragments files on your drives. I have used competing products, and indeed this is what they normally do. However, Microsoft apparently has a unique take on how a defragmenter works, or their software engineers are incapable of creating a tool that functions as intended. Either one is inexusable in my book. Microsoft did not invent "defragmenting" and to it's credit it did not invent fragmentation either. (Though it seems to be the king of the latter now.) That fact tells me that MS is not permitted to define what a "defragmentation" tool does. Since MS is following in the foot-steps of the true innovators once again, you would hope that the tool that they develop works better than the original. Well, if it were any other company you could expect it, but with MS you have to just hope. Here's a summary of my interaction with the MS Defrag tool:
Action: Analyse
Result: You should defrag
Action: Defrag
Result: Some files were moved, but the majority of the red on the chart remains.
Action: Analyse
Result: You should defrag
Action: Defrag
Result: After a time lapse of mere milliseconds MS Defrag reports completion and it looks like nothing was moved.
Action: Analyse
Result: You should defrag
This now continues for at least another 6 times, during one cycle the tool seemed to hang, and I had to stop the process after letting it try to move on for about 20 minutes. Seriously, I think MS is lucky that it is not judged based on the performance of this tool, because most developers would not include this level of junk even in their beta releases.

Update!

I had to manually copy and rename a 2.5GB file that the system refused to even touch in the defragger. I thought that this process would move the file to a location where it could write everything contiguously since I have 26% free space on the drive, and the defragger shows a good size chunk of open space. Well, nope. It wrote the file with over 26 THOUSAND fragments. At least defrag moved some files around when I ran it afterward. My outlook archive file seems to be lost to any form of help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home