Google

Friday, January 13, 2006

SOE Can they get a MMO Right?

Seriously can SOE actually develop a game that can be played for 4hrs straight? I played SWG for a quite a while and about 2 hrs of PVP and my some what current computer (At the time) would slideshow and eventually just dump me to desktop. How about standing for 5 minutes in a house so the engine could load items, only to find out your stuck in a vendor that loaded into your body. I quit SWG for over a year, came back to check out NGE. Oh my in one year the game with almost no one playing (4 people in Theed on Radiant) runs worse than ever. 678 megs of memory usage to load from logout into Keren? They are joking right? Warping mobs, half assed network code, Force running after a mob and within 1m and a lvl 80 jedi can’t hit a ikopi?

While I love Everquest 2 it is the bane of my 6800GT. Every Nek castle run, I could almost predict when I was going to lock up. I’m not even going to discuss DFC or Permafrost. How in the heck does SOE expect this game to make it to a mass market and sell well. If my computer has a hard time running it, how is the average Dell/HP/Compaq computer going to handle it.

I’m not some Overclocking look at my 3dmark l33t d00d. I would say I’m far far from having an average computer. I worry more about stability and compatibility then raw speed. SOE its time to look at blowing out the Bloat in your programming and doing something better for memory management.

Look at Guild Wars, wonderful game, great graphics and it runs on my p3-700. World of Warcraft , 11hrs of running between Ironforge and Stormwind, not one desktop crash or fatal error. Still silky smooth. City of Villians, Super jumping around Nerva and sharkhead, with my 30 brute, 8hrs not a single issue. So answer me why is it that SOE games have play time of 2 hrs? BLOATWARE SOE BLOATWARE

1 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

Well, I suppose you needed an outlet for this bit of rant! I can't offer any input on most of those games, but I can say that WoW runs great compared to what I remember SWG doing. Guild wars blows them all out of the water for performance, but there's a little bit of controversey over whether that's actually an MMO.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home